8.21.2011

pre-school


the last week before school starts we've been busy being tourists. went to the zoo. didn't take any pictures. went to the national cathedral. took their "behind the scenes" tour, and got to go on the upper balconies, under the bell tower, etc. check it out:


outside on a tiny balcony

under the front window, as we stood on a tiny ledge above the main seating.

then, yesterday we had the "white coat" ceremony.

a bit of a snooze fest (3 HOURS sitting in one seat), but it was fun for me to see and learn a few facts about each of alex's classmates, which were read as each student walked on stage and received their white coat.
my poor camera fired this shot 2 seconds too late... but here he is with the Dean, 2 seconds after he put Alex's white coat on him.

officially a doctor in training...


Other highlights of our last two weeks:

1) Alex got pulled over by the secret service when returning the moving van back to Budget. Seriously. Apparently you can't drive a van or truck within a certain distance to the white house, and I'd sent Alex on an errand nearby our house (which is less than a mile from the white house). Got pulled over, had them check the empty truck, convinced them he was new to town and lost, and luckily got away with just a warning.

2) we sold our beloved Bianca. turns out we don't need a scooter here. we walk every place we go. or take the bus. here we are before we parted ways. you can't really see, but i am choking back serious tears. crazy though.... we sold her to a ginger named Alison who goes by Ali. i think she's in good hands.

3) i tripped on a corner in Georgetown and fell SO hard, flat on my face. i was talking to my sister Meg at the time, and my phone flew out of my hand and landed about 50 ft away. people came rushing over, wide eyed... so it must have been a pretty spectacular fall. i hardly remember it. but had to walk the rest of the way home with swollen, bruised, and scraped knees and hands. the best part: a guy handed me my phone, and Meg was still talking. :)

4) got a job at J.Crew. it's not going to make enough to pay half of our rent payment each month, even if i DON'T buy anything.... so it's going to be complete torture working in one of my favorite stores, with an awesome discount, and not be able to buy things. hmmm. this could be an anti-money making endeavor. i've got to find a better paying job. stat. but, i'm excited to have something to do. i start tuesday.

5) found a great store called TableTop. I've been there only 6 times in the 14 days we've lived here. yep, they all know me by name. actually, to them my name is "rug lady" because i bought a chilewich rug. i've been dreaming of this forever.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha... I'm still laughing about you falling on your face and I didn't even know it! Your blog is very cute. Way to keep it updated and take lots of pictures! I am very much slacking in that department. Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, we know how happy you are and how hard you guys have worked, but trying to kiss the dean? Way to be.... we love the blog but it looks like the work of your bride

    ReplyDelete